Wednesday, September 15, 2010

In Dreams...

Oh Roy Orbison, where have you gone? That's right...you're dead. Too bad.

I had a dream the other day (I sleep during the day because I'm a professional vampire, FYI...) that disturbed me. It wasn't a nightmare or anything like that; it disturbed me because it was unfair, cruel even.

The dream was of four people sitting around drinking, laughing and having a grand old time. It was something out of a movie: dripping with atmosphere and full of urbane wit. Doesn't sound so terrible does it? Wait...it gets better.

The four people are myself, Adam Sessler, Morgan Webb and Blair Butler. Adam, Blair and Morgan are all personalities for G4 TV in case you don't know. What you also may not know is that I had a couple of interviews with G4 TV a few weeks ago.

I didn't get the job.

I should have because there is no way in the universe that I couldn't have done this job. I would have kicked this job's ass every day of the week. This job would've called me "Daddy" and begged me for seconds. You get the idea...

But as the phone interview wore on it was clear that Eric, the Head of I-Forget-Your-Fucking-Title, had barely glanced at my resume before speaking with me. He knew nothing of my work; read none of the articles nor watched any of the videos. He was a nice enough guy and all...but why were we talking? I have no idea. And that question vexes me. I'm quite vexed...

So, back to the dream. The dream was cruel because Adam, Morgan and Blair would have been my colleagues if I had gotten the job. In my mind, we would have been friends and sharing moments like the one that danced across my dreamscape. Roy Orbison once sang, "In dreams...I walk with you. In dreams...I talk to you. In dreams...you're mine." Only in dreams can I have these things. Only in dreams...

It is clear that my subconscious mind is a heartless tease who wants to destroy me from the inside out. I gave my subconscious mind a sound talking to before I went to sleep yesterday morning. I told it, in no uncertain terms, that I wasn't going to tolerate any more of these "vividly showing me my heart's desire and then waking me up to go do a job I despise" shenanigans.

I don't recall having any dreams at all yesterday, so there you go.

But I still would like to, someday, have that drink with Adam, Morgan and Blair...

No comments:

Post a Comment